Sunday, March 22, 2009

boy, what a weekend...

I'll be doing another post in the morning, when I remember where the camera is...

A great, and busy, weekend! Saturday was the first Howard Street Handmade art/craft shindig, and it turned out well. Steady traffic all day, lots of good fun and folks and eye candy at the vendor's tables. I'll get a few photos in.
After it all wrapped up, Rob and I stopped next door at Short Street Cakes for some much-needed coffee and cupcakes which are WONDERFUL. Rob's came with a plastic baby on top, which I think he left in the bathroom at the Wedge Brewery, our next stop....
Where I met a lovely girl wrapped in a lovely quilt, which started a great conversation. We hope to see them again soon.

And today was our first trip to the Biltmore Estate (well, Rob went in junior high or something, but that was a while ago...) courtesy of my friend Sandy, who had passes that needed using. Talk about a party house. I'd love to be able to just invite a dozen or so friends to stay the month cruising around my enormous home and gardens and indoor bowling alley. Really, who has an indoor pool in 1895? George Vanderbilt, that's who.
Truly, one of my favorite things about the house wasn't the house at all, it was the handful of portraits by John Singer Sargent, who is-- along with Auguste Rodin-- my favoritest artist ever.

We wound down the trip with a stop at the winery-- the line for the tour and tasting was around the block and down the street, so we skipped that and just got 2 flights at the wine bar. Not bad, but it pales in comparison to most of what we've had in Charlottesville, VA wineries.

I'll be back tomorrow with photos, once I find that camera....

No comments: